Henry Nicholls and Jane Leverton
Henry and Jane, parents of James Nicholls, married at Feock, Cornwall on 24th November 1836. A witness was Jeremiah Robbins. Henry signed, and Jane made her mark.
Henry was born about 1799 in Feock, Cornwall. Jane was born in 1807 at Philleigh in Cornwall. At the 1841 census they were living at Carnon Downs near Truro in Cornwall. Feock, Philleigh and Carnon Downs are all located just south of the County town of Truro. Henry was a carpenter aged 40 and Jane was 30. Their son Henry was 2.
At the 1851 census they were still living at Carnon Downs and had four children:
- Henry (b. about 1840)
- James (b 10 May 1846)
- Jane (b about 1847)
- John (b about 1849)
At the 1851 census he was a Carpenter & Farmer. At the 1861 census they were still living at Carnon Downs and he was Beer Seller.
In January 2001 I obtained a genealogy for Jane Leverton from about 1490.
The Levertons originate from Livaton hamlet in South Tawton parish in Devon. Jane Leveton's branch of the family stayed in South Tawton until the middle of the 16th century, and migrated to Cornwall between 1569 and 1574.
The earliest records of the family concern Walter de Lyuaton and John de Lyuaton, recorded on the Devon Subsidy Rolls in 1332, in the South Tawton Parish. However there are no records showing links from them to Jane's earliest recorded ancestor, her great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather John, born about 1490.
- John Levaton (b about 1490, South Tawton, Devon)
- Richard Leveton (b about 1516 South Tawton s/o John, md Joanna 1540, d.1582)
- John Levaton (b 1548 South Tawton s/o Richard, md Jane 1575)
- Hughe Leverton (b about 1578 s/o John, d before 1662)
- William Leverton (b about 1623 s/o Hughe, md Ann about 1650, d 1679 St Veryan, Cornwall)
- John Liverton (b 1656 St Just-in-Roseland Cornwall s/o William, md Elizabeth Langdon 1 Jan 1693, d 1746)
- William Liverton (b 1697 St Veryan Cornwall s/o John, md Jane James 10 May 1730, d 1765 St Just-in-Roseland, Cornwall)
- John Liverton (b 1733 St Just-in-Roselands/o William, md Ann Paine 10 Aug 1769)
- John Leverton (b 1776 Cubert Cornwall s/o John, m Mary Bonetto 27 Aug 1799, d 1822 Philleigh Cornwall)
- Jane Leverton (b 1807 Philleigh Cornwall d/o John, md Henry Nicholls 24 Nov 1836 Feock Cornwall)